The town of Paoli grew around an inn kept in 1769 by Joshua Evans, whose father bought 500 acres (200 ha) from William Penn in 1719 near the current site of the Paoli Post Office. Evans named his inn after General Pasquale Paoli, a Corsican, after he had received the 45th and final toast at a Saint Patrick’s Day celebration. The inn’s location on the Philadelphia and Lancaster Turnpike, about 20 miles (one day’s drive for a horse-drawn wagon) from Philadelphia, ensured its success.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.